This recipe is one of my favorite recipe’s since my childhood and was cooked at by one of the people I grew up with; NilimaGoswami Aunty. When I got married this recipe was given to me from a hand – written diary of hers and since then has been a favorite of all at my place and most favorite of my nephew Sunny.
The liking of this recipe went up to the extend that every person who would be the care-taker in the kitchen with Sunny had to pass the exam of learning to cook KHOWSUEY.
Thank you so much Nilima Aunty
The recipe… KHOWSUEY
1 big sized chicken (approx 1 kg)
1 coconut (raw) [to extract coconut milk].
2 big onion [1 chopped; 1 grated].
2-3 dry red chillies [crushed].
½ tsp coriander powder.
½ tspjeera powder
10 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tsp gram flour/besan [mixed with a water to a fine paste]
2-3 hard boiled eggs (cut in squared)
3-4 tsp soya vinegar
3-4 green chillies (chopped finely)
1 lemon wedges
2 potato (cut in thin long slices)
1. Boil 1 Kg chicken with bone in a large pot covered with water. Add black pepper corn, bay leaves, black cardamom, cinnamonsticks.Boil till chicken is tender and ready to shred. Save the stock. De-bone chicken, discard bones and retain stock.
2. Chop 1 onion, fry in refined oil till light brown. Then add 1 grated onion and crushed chilli, dhania, jeera powder and fry for sometime. To this add boneless boiled chicken and garlic paste ad keep frying for sometime. When oil separate add chicken stock, boil for sometime. While boiling add coconut milk by continuous stirring. Bring to boil and cook to desired tenderness of chicken.
3. In a bowl add 2 tablespoons of gram flour and make it into a fine paste with some of the stock. Add this to the chicken mix slowly till you get desired thickness. As it starts to thicken turn heat low. Add one cup of coconut milk.
4. Put the green chilliesIn vinegar.
5. Cut lemon and hard boiled eggs into squares.
6. Deep fry potato slices.
7. Boil noodles.
8. While serving don’t compromise on the condiments as they are the key to this dish!
Khowsuey is eaten with plain egg noodles and topped with the condiments. Serve with shredded deep fried potatoes, chopped green chillies in vinegar, lime wedges, fried onion, chopped spring onions & chopped boiled eggs.
Even just a few of them will do- green chillies in vinegar is a must.