- 1 kg. carrots
• 200-300 gm. sugar (adjust to taste)
• 500 gm. Khoya or Mawa or 400 gm. dry milk powder, if khoya is not available. You can also use double cream or condensed milk instead. Adjust sugar then.
• 50-60 gm. ghee
• a few strands of saffron
• 1 tsp. cardamom powder
• 100 gm. chopped pistachio/almonds/cashews
• 50 gm. raisins.
* Crumble or grate khoa coarsely. Keep aside.
* Wash, peel and grate carrots.
* Place carrots and in 1/4 cup of water in a pan, bring to boil and simmer until tender. This takes only 10 minutes or less. Carrots can be cooked quickly in a pressure, only 1 minute under full pressure.
* Drain water off from the carrots in a colander. Discard carrot water or use as stock.
* Heat ghee in a wok or karahi and add cooked, drained carrots. Stir fry on high, until all remaining water evaporates and carrots look shiny. This should not take long, if carrots are well drained.
* Add saffron, milk powder/khoa/condensed milk/cream and fry until thoroughly mixed.
* Add sugar. Sugar melts, and releases more liquid. Stir fry again until all liquid evaporates and it begin to come off the pan. Turn heat off.
* Add nuts, raisins and cardamoms, mix thoroughly. Pack in a bowl with lid or a box and keep in the fridge.
* For serving, re-heat the amount required just before serving.
To make Carrot Burfi, spread the halva on a greased tray and press to flatten and firm it. Sprinkle some chopped/shredded almonds/pistachio/cashew nuts on top, press gently again. Let it cool completely. Cut in to required sized squares or diamond shapes.
Hassle-Free Microwave Carrot Halwa Recipe
▪ 2 cup grated carrots/gajar
▪ ½ cup milk
▪ 5 to 6 tablespoon sugar
▪ ½ cup fresh khoya (also known as mawa in Hindi and evaporated milk in english)
▪ 1 to 2 tablespoon Ghee
▪ ½ tsp cardamom powder
▪ 2 tbsp almond, pistachios or cashew slices
▪ 2 tbsp cream (optional)
* Take ghee in a microwave safe bowl or microwave cooker.
* Add the grated carrots and microwave on high power for 2 and a half minutes.
* Add milk, sugar, khoya, cream, cardamom powder. microwave for 8 to 9 minutes on high power.
* Allow a standing time of 5 minutes.
* Garnish carrot halwa with slices of almond, pista and cashew nuts.
* You can either serve carrot halwa hot or cold.
* you can add overall 2 cups of milk as a substitute for khoya or evaporate milk.