It is quite simple and easy to make Dahi Vada at home. This is how you can make it in just a few simple steps.
• Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal), soaked – 1 cup
• Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoonful
• Salt – to taste
• Asafoetida – a pinch
• Oil – for deep-frying
• Yogurt – 3 cups
• Roasted cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
• Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
• Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tablespoon
• Tamarind chutney – as required
• Drain and grind the black gram into a fine and fluffy batter.
• Add cumin seeds, salt and asafoetida and then whisk the mixture to incorporate air into it.
• Heat sufficient oil in a kadai to moderate heat.
• Take about two tablespoons of the batter on your wet palm and make a hole in the centre with your thumb, shape like a doughnut and lower into the hot oil. Deep fry the vadas till golden brown. Drain and soak in warm water.
• Beat yogurt with a whisk to make it smooth. Add salt and mix well. Squeeze the vadas to remove excess water and add into the yogurt. Let them soak for at least fifteen to twenty minutes before serving.
• Garnish with roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and coriander leaves. Serve cold.